Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Trump pauses 50% tariffs on goods from Canada, says two sides have a deal

The delay gives negotiators three more days to finalize a deal and avert tariffs on about $20 billion in Canadian imports, officials said.

  • President Donald Trump announced on Truth Social that the U.S. will postpone a 50% tariff on approximately $20 billion worth of Canadian imports by three days.
  • Canada had threatened to retaliate against new tariffs with levies of its own, aggravating a trade fight between countries that exchanged $880 billion in goods and services last year.
  • Trump stated the two countries reached a deal aiming to resume construction of the controversial Keystone pipeline project, though neither released details on cooling Canada's animosity.
  • Still hanging in the balance is a sweeping free trade agreement between the U.S. and its two largest trading partners: Canada and Mexico, amid ongoing trade uncertainty.
  • This uncertainty could discourage businesses from investing in North America, as Trump has a history of changing his stance on trade matters regarding the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

445 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 46% of the sources are Center
46% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Politico broke the news in Arlington County, United States on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal