Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

China Says US Agreed to a Maximum Tariff Rate. Could the Trade War Be Waning?

China said the proposed tariff cuts would cover $30 billion or more in goods on each side, as both countries seek to extend their trade truce.

  • On Wednesday, China's Ministry of Commerce announced that Beijing and Washington agreed to discuss a framework for reciprocal tariff reductions on products worth at least $30 billion on each side.
  • These discussions follow a one-year truce negotiated in Kuala Lumpur last October, which suspended reciprocal tariffs and non-tariff measures until November 10 this year.
  • Confirming outcomes from the Xi-Trump summit, the Ministry said China would purchase 200 aircraft from Boeing and restore registrations for some U.S. beef exporters that lapsed last year.
  • Analysts suggest the pledge signals a shift in relations between the world's two largest economies, moving away from unilateral trade shocks toward a phase of "managed competition."
  • Beijing urged Washington to further roll back unilateral tariffs through follow-up consultations, while the U.S. committed to keeping future levies no higher than Kuala Lumpur levels.
Insights by Ground AI

14 Articles

Beijing, China. China agreed to work with the United States to reduce tariffs that affect tens of billions of dollars in goods on both sides, according to an official Chinese communiqué released on Wednesday, a few days after President Donald Trump's visit to Beijing.The world's two major economies spent much of 2025 engaged in an increasingly intense trade war, until both leaders reached a one-year truce during their meeting in South Korea in O…

Lean Left

China reported on Wednesday discussions with the United States to reduce their tariffs on tens of billions of dollars of goods, in an effort to relax after Donald Trump's recent visit.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
Lean Left

A few days after the US President's visit to Beijing, the Chinese Ministry of Trade announced that the two countries have agreed to discuss a framework agreement with reduced tariffsPekin will work with Washington to reduce tariffs on goods worth tens of billions of dollars for each country, said the Ministry of Trade on Wednesday, a few days after US President Donald Trump's visit to China.

Read Full Article
Lean Left

Beijing will work with Washington to reduce tariffs on goods worth tens of billions of dollars for each country.

·Montreal, Canada
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 50% of the sources lean Right
50% Right

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

조선일보 broke the news on Wednesday, May 20, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal