US ramps up Cuba sanctions and detentions of Americans returning from the island
The sanctions target 10 state-owned companies and three ICAP leaders, as Washington says the measures are meant to cut off funding to Havana.
- The Treasury and State departments announced Thursday new sanctions against 10 state-owned Cuban mining, metal, and construction companies, alongside leadership of the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples .
- Portraying Cuba as a grave national security threat, the Trump Administration released a State Department report last month accusing Havana of sponsoring left-wing, anti-American activism for six decades.
- Sanctions target ICAP president Fernando González Llort, first vice president Noemí Ramona Rabaza Fernández, and North America director Leima Martínez Freire, while restricting firms importing heavy industrial products and automotive parts.
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents detained several Americans returning from Cuba last weekend after events marking Fidel Castro's birthday, seizing devices and warning of potential prosecution for sanctions violations.
- Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the institute sponsors "a vast subversive network in the United States," while the island faces economic free fall with fuel shortages causing blackouts and crippling tourism.
111 Articles
111 Articles
The new sanctions are directed against the Cuban Ministry of Construction, several state companies from the metal and mining sectors and three high-ranking representatives of the Institute for Friendship of the Peoples.
US Widens Cuba Sanctions as Americans Returning from Havana Face Scrutiny
Get latest articles and stories on World at LatestLY. The US has tightened sanctions on Cuban state-owned companies and ICAP leaders, accusing Havana of running subversive networks in America. Cuba rejected the move, calling it a deliberate attempt to cripple its economy amidst severe blackouts, fuel shortages, and a worsening crisis. World News | US Widens Cuba Sanctions as Americans Returning from Havana Face Scrutiny.
US widens Cuba sanctions as Americans returning from Havana face scrutiny - The Tribune
The US has tightened sanctions on Cuban state-owned companies and ICAP leaders, accusing Havana of running subversive networks in America. Cuba rejected the move, calling it a deliberate attempt to cripple its economy amidst severe blackouts, fuel shortages, and a worsening crisis.
The US is targeting state-owned companies in the metal and mining industries with new sanctions, among others.
Donald Trump expands Cuba crackdown as island’s economy plunges deeper into crisis
The Trump administration is increasing economic penalties on Cuban industries. New sanctions target mining, metal, and construction companies, and friendship organizations. Americans visiting Cuba face stricter enforcement of laws barring dealings with state-owned businesses. This action follows recent detentions of citizens returning from Cuba. These measures aim to further isolate Cuba amid its economic crisis.
The U.S. Treasury Department announced the measure that also affects the directors of the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples. Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez denounced that these penalties respond to Washington’s “deliberate purpose” of damaging the island’s economy.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 38% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium




































