115 vessels, 2,500 seafarers evacuated from Strait of Hormuz since Tuesday: UN maritime head
The UN maritime agency said the rescue effort is being paused while it seeks new safety assurances after an attack on a vessel.
- On Thursday, the International Maritime Organization paused evacuations in the Strait of Hormuz after the container ship Ever Lovely was attacked while transiting near Oman's coast. IMO Secretary-General Arsenio Dominguez announced the suspension on Friday, noting the vessel was not participating in the agency's operation.
- Since the US-Iran war erupted in late February, 11,000 mariners have been stranded aboard 600 vessels, prompting the evacuation mission. Mines currently block the traditional 1968 Traffic Separation Scheme, forcing ships into two temporary corridors—one administered by Iran and another supported by Oman and the United States.
- Before the pause, 115 vessels carrying roughly 2,500 crew members safely exited the Gulf over three and a half days. Dominguez emphasized the humanitarian toll, stating that at least 14 seafarers have been killed and more than 40 commercial vessels attacked during the conflict.
- Thursday's attack exposed unresolved questions about who ultimately controls navigation through the narrow channel, despite a peace agreement between Washington and Tehran ending hostilities. The IMO is now negotiating with Iran, Oman, and the United States to secure renewed safety guarantees before resuming evacuations.
- Under the memorandum of understanding signed last week, Tehran committed to clearing naval mines within 30 days. Until then, the IMO faces the complex task of maintaining a functioning maritime corridor while navigating fragile diplomacy surrounding one of the world's most strategically vital waterways.
34 Articles
34 Articles
Strait of Hormuz shipping faces new uncertainty after Iran drone strike
The ceasefire agreement between Iran and the United States is now being tested not in negotiating rooms, but in the narrow shipping lanes of the Strait of Hormuz. Iran had agreed to use “its best efforts” to ensure safe passage for commercial vessels through the waterway, a route that carries a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas supplies. But the first attack on a vessel since the pact was signed has exposed a central weakness in…
UN Shipping Agency Halts Hormuz Evacuation After Iranian Drone Strikes Merchant Vessel
The International Maritime Organization has suspended its effort to evacuate stranded vessels through the Strait of Hormuz following a drone attack on a merchant ship off the coast of Oman. IMO Secretary-General Arsenio Dominguez said the evacuation plan will remain on hold until the agency can confirm safety guarantees for ships on the evacuation list and in the broader region. A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss a se…
UN hopes to see “sustained” opening of Hormuz, says spokesperson
UN hopes to see “sustained” opening of Hormuz, says spokesperson Stephane Dujarric told reporters that “it is important that everybody live up to what they’ve committed to in every agreement that is signed”. “And I think it is important that all parties involved keep their eyes on the greater good,” he added, including regional and global stability as well as the wellbeing of seafarers. “Thousands and thousands of men and women … have been stuc…
About 2,500 sailors were evacuated from the Strait of Hormuz, according to the International Maritime Organization, in an operation that began at the beginning of the week and was suspended due to a strike on Thursday. The post Iran: IMO evacuated about 2,500 sailors from the Strait of Hormuz appeared first on in.gr.
115 vessels, 2,500 seafarers evacuated from Strait of Hormuz: UN agency
International Maritime Organization says efforts ongoing to restart evacuation of stranded seafarers
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 62% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






















