Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Son of Former Mexican President López Obrador Says US Revoked His Visa and Appeals Directly to Trump

He says U.S. officials gave no evidence and made the revocation part of a broader crackdown that has hit more than 50 Mexican politicians, AP reported.

  • On Thursday, Andrés Manuel López Beltrán, son of former Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador, said the United States revoked his visa and appealed to President Donald Trump for an explanation.
  • Reuters reported last year that the U.S. government had revoked visas for at least 50 Mexican politicians and officials as part of a crackdown on drug cartels and their alleged political allies.
  • López Beltrán denied any wrongdoing and labeled the revocation "a crude and perverse act" by officials he said target foreign politicians as "threats to U.S. security."
  • On Friday, Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum said U.S. visa revocations targeting "politically exposed persons" are "essentially political" because they are not applied equally across countries.
  • The 39-year-old politician recently stepped down from Morena party leadership as he prepares to seek a seat in Mexico's lower house of Congress in the 2027 midterm elections.
Insights by Ground AI

133 Articles

Lean Left

Landau’s reaction, also known as “El Quitavisas”, raised political tension around the case of Andrés Manuel López Beltrán

·Los Angeles, United States
Read Full Article
Center

Defends CSP to Andy

President Claudia Sheinbaum defended Andrés Manuel López Beltrán yesterday after the withdrawal of his U.S. visa, assuring that there are no investigations against him and accusing the U.S. of using those decisions for political and interventionist purposes. Questioned about the revocation of visas to politicians, the President said that the measure is not applied in a homogeneous way in Latin America and that it responds to interests other than…

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 37% of the sources are Center
37% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Telemundo Houston broke the news on Friday, August 14, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal