Six Americans Exposed to Ebola in DRC
At least six Americans were exposed, and one doctor was evacuated to Germany as Congo’s rare Bundibugyo outbreak topped 100 deaths, officials said.
- The World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday, with over 300 suspected cases and 118 deaths reported across Congo and Uganda by Monday.
- Congolese health officials confirmed the rare Bundibugyo strain on May 14 following a delayed response, after initial tests for the Zaire strain returned negative; the first death occurred on April 24 in Bunia.
- An American doctor is among the newly confirmed cases in the outbreak, which has no approved vaccines or therapeutics; CBS News reported on Sunday that at least six Americans have been exposed to the virus in Congo.
- Rwanda closed its land border with Congo on Sunday as Africa CDC chief Dr. Jean Kaseya told Sky News he is in "panic mode" due to lack of medicines, while the U.S. activated Title 42 containment measures.
- Eastern Congo, where Ituri has over 273 displaced people, already grapples with a humanitarian crisis and armed groups, complicating containment efforts more than 620 miles from Kinshasa.
258 Articles
258 Articles
Could Ebola spread to the US? WHO emergency sparks fears after American infected in Congo
An American tested positive for Ebola while working in Congo, as WHO declares the outbreak an international public health emergency. Experts discuss the risk of spread in the U.S.
The physician had been infected with the Ebola virus during treatment in a hospital in the Congo. Charité specializes in the care of patients with highly contagious life-threatening infectious diseases.
As Ebola outbreak spreads in DRC and Uganda, what is risk to US?
Health supplies are seen as healthcare workers receive training on administering the Ebola vaccine in a study carried out with the support of the World Health Organization as part of the fight against the Ebola virus in Kampala, Uganda on February 14, 2025. (Nicholas Kajoba/Anadolu via Getty Images) (NEW YORK) — A deadly Ebola outbreak is continuing to spread in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, with officials on Tuesday saying there …
The American citizen who contracted the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) will be admitted to a specialized section of the Berlin Charity Hospital, the German Ministry of Health, quoted by AFP, announced on Tuesday.
The number of cases in the Ebola outbreak in Congo is rising rapidly. A US-American infected with the virus is to be supplied in Germany.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 65% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






























