Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Police say threat neutralized after reported shooting at San Diego mosque

Police said the attack killed three men and left two teenage suspects dead, with the FBI assisting and the case being investigated as a hate crime.

  • Two teenage suspects opened fire on Monday, May 18, 2026, outside the Islamic Center of San Diego, killing three men including a security guard before dying from apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds, police said.
  • Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed the FBI is assisting in a hate crime investigation after one suspect's mother reported both teenagers missing with multiple weapons earlier that morning, prompting officers to search the area.
  • One victim, a security guard, played a "pivotal role" in preventing further casualties, Wahl said, while officers evacuated children from the mosque's Al Rashid School as the scene remained "active but contained."
  • Mayor Todd Gloria urged the public to "avoid the area," while the Los Angeles Police Department increased patrols at local mosques and houses of worship out of an abundance of caution.
  • Data from the Violence Prevention Project indicates this is only the fourth fatal attack on a U.S. mosque since 2000, with CAIR-San Diego stating, "No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

329 Articles

Right

A 17-year-old and an 18-year-old attacked an Islamic centre in San Diego in the Clairmont district, which includes a mosque as well as a school. Three people died, the two attackers were later found dead. A warning call to the police raises the question whether the crime could have been prevented. The police moved on Monday morning around 11.40 a.m. (local time) with a large range. On the spot, the executive found three killed men of adult age, …

·Vienna, Austria
Read Full Article
IOLIOL
+2 Reposted by 2 other sources
Center

Three killed in San Diego mosque shooting, both suspects dead

·South Africa
Read Full Article
Lean Left

An attack on an Islamic center in San Diego resulted in the death of several people. Police representatives said that three adult men were killed, including a security guard. Police said that possible attackers committed suicide: two teenage suspects, believed to be 17 and 19 years old, ...

·Romania
Read Full Article
WMURWMUR
+3 Reposted by 3 other sources
Center

Two teen shooters open fire on San Diego mosque, killing 3 men and then themselves, police say

Three people were killed in a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, and two suspects are dead, police said.

·New Hampshire, United States
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 52% of the sources are Center
52% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

arcamax.com broke the news on Monday, May 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal