Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Pentagon weighing smaller U.S. military presence in Gulf once Iran war ends: Report

The policy office is evaluating whether to leave damaged bases unrepaired and shift forces westward as Iranian attacks expose vulnerabilities, officials said.

  • On Tuesday, The Washington Post reported the Pentagon is evaluating a potential reduction in forces from America across the Gulf, viewing the conflict as "a once-in-a-generation chance for the Pentagon to reconsider its presence in the region."
  • Iranian missile and drone strikes on regional bases in Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, and the UAE exposed vulnerabilities in the current basing system, forcing the Pentagon to weigh risks to facilities previously considered essential.
  • Former Centcom commander General Frank McKenzie called current basing systems an "artefact," noting forward headquarters 100 miles from Iran create unacceptable risk; former CIA director David Petraeus added in May that America is "not as inclined to occupy these bases."
  • Admiral Bradley Cooper, current head of Centcom, has supported discussions about moving troops from the Gulf; the military from America has already begun shifting forces westward, gaining access to Taif Air Base in Saudi Arabia in March after Iranian strikes pummelled Prince Sultan Air Base.
  • By potentially bypassing damaged sites and restructuring regional defense, the Pentagon aims to align its military posture with the current realities of Iranian missile threats in a permanent consolidation of forces rather than a reactive measure.
Insights by Ground AI

34 Articles

Lean Right

Video shows when missiles fall into US military base in Jordan, says agency The United States evaluates reducing military presence in the Middle East and may even stop rebuilding bases hit by Iranian attacks in recent months, reported The Washington Post on Tuesday (18). ✅ Follow the international news channel of the G1 in WhatsApp The newspaper heard eight people with knowledge of the subject, including US authorities. If the proposal advances,…

·Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Read Full Article
Lean Left

It has been suggested that the Pentagon is considering reducing its military presence in the Persian Gulf following the end of the war with Iran. CENTCOM has approximately 20 US military bases in the region, stretching from Jordan to Oman, where around 40,000 American troops are stationed.

·Türkiye
Read Full Article
Right

The devastation wrought by Iranian attacks on American military bases gives Washington a unique opportunity to limit its "footprint" in the region.

·Marousi, Greece
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 52% of the sources lean Right
52% Right

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The spokesman-Review broke the news in Spokane, United States on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal