Pentagon to Cut Military Forces Available to NATO in Crises
The shift would reduce U.S. wartime commitments as allies take on more conventional defense, officials said, while leaving the nuclear guarantee unchanged.
- The Pentagon plans to announce a significant reduction in U.S. commitments to the NATO Force Model at a Friday meeting of defense policy chiefs in Brussels, according to three sources familiar with the classified plans.
- President Donald Trump expects European nations to assume primary responsibility for continental security, a policy shift aligning with Washington's pivot toward the Indo-Pacific as it contends with two and a half months of war in the Middle East.
- Last week, the U.S. stopped a planned rotation of more than 4,000 American troops en route to Poland and plans to cut 5,000 soldiers from Germany; House Republicans voted to decrease funding for the alliance by $481 million.
- Supreme Allied Commander Europe General Alexus Grynkewich said on Tuesday the U.S. will limit its European presence to providing "critical capabilities" that allies cannot yet generate as they build their own capacity.
- Leaders are expected to confront the implications of this rebalanced defense role at an upcoming summit in Turkey in July, as Eastern European countries fear U.S. withdrawals could signal to Moscow that Washington won't defend them against Russian threats.
71 Articles
71 Articles
US planning to reduce commitment to NATO – including in wartime
The US is due to announce a reduction in the capabilities it makes available to NATO, part of the Trump administration's previously signalled pivot to priorities outside of Europe. The move doesn't change the current number of forces on NATO territory.
Trump’s Europe Pullback Begins as NATO Warns Transition Will Last Years - Novinite.com - Sofia News Agency
The planned reduction of US military forces in Europe will unfold gradually over several years and will be coordinated closely with NATO allies, according to NATO Supreme Allied Commander Europe Alexus Grynkewich. Speaking after a meeting of NATO military chiefs in Brussels, Grynkewich said Washington’s strategy is tied directly to Europe strengthening its own defense capabilities.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 38% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






























