Published 1 day ago • loading... • Updated 12 hours ago
Packers' Improved Depth at Cornerback Leaves Keisean Nixon Fighting to Keep His Starting Spot
Keisean Nixon says he is being punished as Green Bay weighs several cornerback options, with coaches keeping the starting job open.
Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur confirmed an open competition for starting cornerback positions on Monday, leaving veteran Keisean Nixon's job status uncertain as training camp progresses.
Following criticism of his performance, coaches are evaluating options after Nixon faced backlash for missed tackles against Steelers receiver Germie Bernard and an apparent 'business decision' regarding Bears running back D'Andre Swift in last year's playoff loss.
To bolster the secondary, the Packers added rookie Brandon Cisse in the 2026 NFL Draft and signed veteran free agent Benjamin St-Juste to compete alongside Carrington Valentine for starting positions.
On Sunday, Nixon told reporters he feels "punished" by the arrangement, though he maintained that he is strictly focused on competing with himself throughout the ongoing training camp.
LaFleur emphasized that roster decisions depend on specific criteria, stating, "We want to see... obviously, it starts by doing your right assignment, and then it comes down to your style of play." Tackling ability and defensive commitment remain central to the final selection.