Nova Scotia Power Can't Explain Why Hacked Customer Data Was Not Deleted as Planned
Nova Scotia Power said the copy held banking and social insurance numbers for hundreds of thousands of customers and was left outside automatic deletion rules.
- Nova Scotia Power officials acknowledged Tuesday at a Nova Scotia Energy Board hearing that they cannot explain why a digital copy of three decades of customer data was not automatically deleted as intended before a 2025 cyberattack.
- Russia-Based actors accessed the information in March 2025 after an employee clicked a malicious link, while the compromised data was inadvertently stored in a repository where automatic deletion processes failed to apply.
- Lawyer David Roberts questioned witnesses on cybersecurity test failure rates that peaked at 14.3 per cent in November 2024; shortly before the breach, rates were 6.4 per cent in January 2025.
- Executive Blake Williams said "anything above zero is concerning" regarding test failures, while Lia MacDonald, NSP's vice-president of technology, acknowledged the attack shook public trust, stating "Trust must be earned through our actions, not our words."
- The hearing continues scrutinizing why NSP retained social insurance numbers long after the utility stopped regularly collecting them in 2018, despite prior instructions to employees to zero-out such identifiers.
12 Articles
12 Articles
Nova Scotia Power can't explain why hacked customer data was not deleted as planned
Nova Scotia Power officials say they don't know why a digital copy of almost three decades worth of customer information that was later stolen in a cyberattack was not automatically deleted as intended.
Nova Scotia Power can’t explain why hacked customer data was not deleted as planned
HALIFAX - Nova Scotia Power officials say they don’t know why a digital copy of almost three decades worth of customer information that was later stolen in a cyberattack was not automatically deleted as intended.
Nova Scotia Power defends actions ahead of Tuesday's public hearing about cyberattack
Nova Scotia Energy Board and consumer advocate will cross-examine senior executives about customer privacy procedures, communication with customers following the theft of personal and banking information, and subsequent billing processes. The post Nova Scotia Power defends actions ahead of Tuesday’s public hearing about cyberattack appeared first on Halifax Examiner.
Nova Scotia Power doesn’t know why hacked customer data wasn’t previously deleted
By Staff The Canadian Press Posted August 18, 2026 4:27 pm 1 min read Descrease article font size Increase article font size Nova Scotia Power officials say they don’t know why a digital copy of almost three decades worth of customer information that was later stolen in a cyberattack was not automatically deleted as intended. The information, containing the personal data of hundreds of thousands of customer…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 60% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium













