NATO Not Drawing up Plans for Hormuz Mission, Top Commander Says
- On Tuesday, NATO Supreme Allied Commander for Europe Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich said the alliance has no plans for the Strait of Hormuz, requiring a political decision before any operation proceeds.
- Iran began blockading the critical Gulf waterway in February following United States and Israel military action, driving up shipping costs and squeezing raw material supplies.
- Any formal NATO mission requires unanimous approval from all 32 members, several of whom oppose involvement, prompting France and Britain to form a separate coalition for post-conflict transit security.
- European nations remain hesitant to join a NATO mission; one diplomat explained the "key reason is the reluctance to be seen to become a party to the conflict."
- President Donald Trump has berated NATO members for failing to help secure the Strait, though allies prioritize avoiding entanglement in a war launched without their consultation.
22 Articles
22 Articles
UPDATE 1-NATO not drawing up plans for Hormuz mission, top commander says
NATO is not drawing up any plans for a potential mission in the Strait of Hormuz and would need a political decision to do so, its top commander said on Tuesday, amid suggestions by some members that the alliance could play a role there. Any decision to launch a mission would require the approval of all NATO's 32 members and several have already signalled opposition, although no formal proposal has been presented so far, according to diplomats.
NATO Admits to "Thinking" on Mission in the Strait of Ormuz, but Internal Division Locks Formal Plan
Although the alliance's supreme commander admits that the scenario is under analysis, NATO cannot move forward without "political decision." "Several allies support a NATO mission," but the "opposition is clear."
Shafaq News – Brussels: NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Europe, US General Alexus Grynkewich, announced on Tuesday that he is considering ways the alliance could contribute to securing the Strait of Hormuz, but no formal plans have yet been initiated. "Am I considering it? Certainly, but there are no plans yet, pending a political decision," Grynkewich told reporters, explaining that "every country is considering its response, and several, inclu…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 53% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


















