Most Canadians Oppose Concessions in Canada-U.S. Trade Negotiations: Poll
More than half of respondents want Ottawa to hold firm, while 74% say the trade war has already hurt their household finances, Leger found.
- Trade negotiations between Canada and the United States enter the final stretch before a Wednesday deadline, with officials working to avoid 50% levies on $28 billion in Canadian goods President Donald Trump has threatened.
- Trump signed three executive orders last month targeting Canadian alcohol, auto parts, and dairy, citing what the U.S. calls 'discriminatory' measures and retaliatory provincial boycotts that sparked the current trade conflict.
- A new Abacus Data poll surveying 1,622 Canadians conducted between August 15 and 17 shows 74% report financial impacts from the trade war, while only 18% support offering concessions to the U.S. to remove the levies.
- During Sunday's news conference, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre demanded no further concessions, insisting U.S. tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber—currently near 45%—must be removed in any final trade deal.
- Officials told Global News on Friday that a 'big gap' remains between negotiating sides, even as Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and chief trade negotiator Janice Charette continue discussions in Washington.
32 Articles
32 Articles
Canadians think Ottawa should be tougher in U.S. trade talks, poll shows
As a new round of punishing new tariffs on Canada looms, a Leger poll suggests more than half of Canadians want the federal government to take a hard line and make no more concessions with the United States. Andrew Enns, Leger's executive vice-president for Central Canada, says that will be a challenge for Canada's leaders, who want to secure a deal with the Americans.
Quebecers and women are most likely to support an intransigent approach.
Most Canadians oppose concessions in Canada-U.S. trade negotiations: poll
OTTAWA - A new Leger poll suggests Canadians want the federal government to be tougher in trade negotiations with the United States.
No More Concessions: Canadians Want a Tougher Approach to U.S. Trade Talks
As Canada prepares for another round of trade negotiations with the United States, Canadians appear to have little appetite for giving more ground. Our latest survey shows that many feel the federal government has already been too passive. When Canadians are asked what should happen next, the preference is clearer: push harder, limit concessions and keep more aggressive responses on the table. K…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 55% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
















