Judge will consider new trial for Karmelo Anthony in Texas track meet killing
Anthony’s lawyers say strict courtroom rules and off-the-record agreements kept jurors from hearing key evidence in the June murder trial.
- On Thursday, a judge will consider whether to grant Karmelo Anthony a new trial following his murder conviction for stabbing 17-year-old Austin Metcalf at a high school track meet last year. Anthony, now 19, was sentenced to 35 years in prison.
- Anthony's lawyers argue a retrial is warranted because District Judge John Roach enforced overly strict courtroom rules and gave incomplete jury instructions during the June trial. Jurors rejected Anthony's self-defense claims in less than three hours.
- In a legal victory for Anthony, District Judge John Roach was removed from the case on Wednesday after his attorneys argued his TV interview showed bias. Roach had told the station jurors "got it right" regarding the guilty verdict.
- Judge Michael Chitty was assigned to consider the motion for a new trial following Roach's removal. Anthony attended Wednesday's hearing wearing a green prison jumpsuit as his parents and Metcalf's family observed the proceedings.
- The case gained significant national attention amid social media posts amplifying the killing in racial terms. As the situation intensified last year, the families of both Metcalf and Anthony reported that they had been targets of harassment.
157 Articles
157 Articles
What We Need to Know: New Tupac Confession, Carmelo Anthony Retrial Fight
✕ Sybil Wilkes is back with What We Need To Know the headlines that matter most. From a high-stakes appeal in Texas to a decades-old hip-hop mystery finally reaching a courtroom, here are the stories you need on your radar right now. Texas Appeal Uncovers Buried Evidence in Deadly Track Meet Case The case that gripped the nation is far from over. Nineteen-year-old Karmelo Anthony, sentenced to 35 years for the 2025 fatal stabbing of 17-year-old …
Karmelo Anthony dropped plans to testify over track stabbing, lawyer says as teen seeks retrial
Karmelo Anthony’s bid for a retrial after his murder conviction in the stabbing death of an athlete at a high school track meet has resumed. A new judge assigned to the case will decide whether Anthony, 19, who was sentenced…
Karmelo Anthony fights for new trial as lawyers clash over unwritten deal that shaped case
Karmelo Anthony’s bid to overturn his murder conviction returns to court in McKinney, Texas, Friday after his former lawyer testified that a dispute over an unwritten agreement helped keep Anthony from taking the stand.Retired District Judge Michael Chitty is hearing Anthony’s request for a new trial. Judge Sid Harle removed Judge John Roach, who presided over Anthony’s murder trial, from the remaining trial-court proceedings earlier this week.H…
Anthony Seeks New Trial as Talarico and Others Raise Case in Texas Election
Karmelo Anthony is seeking a new trial in Texas as tensions increase over the conviction for the murder of Austin Metcalf. The criminal case was not a difficult one for the prosecution with overwhelming witness and video evidence of the stabbing. Anthony’s motion for a new trial is extremely weak, in my view, because it focuses on his decision not to testify (despite a record showing he made that decision knowingly and freely). At the same time,…
Karmelo Anthony’s lawyer asks for new trial in Texas track meet killing as new details revealed
The Texas prosecutor who oversaw Karmelo Anthony’s conviction in a deadly stabbing at a high school track meet said Thursday that both sides had agreed to hold back evidence that risked further inflaming a case already boiling with racial tensions and death threats.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 62% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium





































