Japan's Ishiba signals talks with Trump for early cut to US auto tariff
JAPAN, AUG 4 – Prime Minister Ishiba urges Trump to issue an executive order for US auto tariff cuts to support Japan's fragile economic recovery after last month's trade agreement.
- Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba signaled he would hold talks with President Donald Trump to press for early auto tariff cuts, urging an executive order soon after last month’s agreement.
- The Japan-US trade agreement struck last month reduces tariffs on autos to 15% from 25%, but implementation remains uncertain and difficult, Ishiba indicated.
- Opposition lawmakers criticized Ishiba for not signing an official document with the US, and Akazawa acknowledged criticism over the lack of a written deal, noting Britain took “more than a month” to implement similar tariffs.
- Shigeru Ishiba, a Japanese politician, decided not to draft an official document after fearing it would delay tariff cuts.
- Amid calls for transparency, Shigeru Ishiba said he will consult with Noda Yoshihiko and share results with other parties to ensure fairness and prevent money from swaying politics.
16 Articles
16 Articles
Japan's economic recovery minister and tariff negotiator Ryosei Akazawa said he was traveling to the United States today to push for faster reductions in auto tariffs in line with the two countries' recently reached bilateral trade agreement.
Japan Pushes U.S. for Swift Auto Tariff Cuts
Japan Pushes U.S. for Swift Auto Tariff Cuts Japan's top tariff negotiator, Ryosei Akazawa, departed for Washington to advocate for the signing of an executive order by President Donald Trump. This order aims to implement a recently agreed tariff reduction on Japanese automobile imports, decreasing from 27.5% to 15%. While the agreement was made, the timeline for enactment was not disclosed.Additional tariff cuts on various Japanese goods are sc…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 50% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium