Published 9 hours ago • loading... • Updated 46 minutes ago
Italy's 'Slow Food' founder Carlo Petrini dies at 76
He built a global movement for good, clean and fair food, with more than 160 national chapters, the organization said.
On Thursday, Slow Food pioneer Carlo Petrini died in his hometown of Bra at 76, his organization confirmed. The Reuters reported he had been diagnosed with cancer in recent years.
Petrini established the Slow Food movement in 1986 following protests against Italy's first McDonald, emphasizing environmental sustainability and equitable conditions for producers. The organization rapidly expanded into more than 160 countries under his presidency.
By 1989, over 20 global delegates signed the Slow Food Manifesto, pledging to "escape the tediousness of fast-food" and "defend old-fashioned food traditions." This work connected communities, farmers, food artisans, cooks, and activists across the world.
Italian President Sergio Mattarella said the death left a "huge void not only in the world of food and wine science, but also in society as a whole." The organization described Petrini as a visionary who "brought to life a global movement."
Throughout his career, Petrini bonded with King Charles III and Pope Francis over shared beliefs in sustainable food. In 2013, Petrini said he was "surprised" when the Pope telephoned him after he sent a book and letter.
In 1986 Carlo Petrini founded his movement in protest against a fast-food chain. Today, his approach to food sustainability and tradition is popular worldwide. Now the inventor of Slow Food died at the age of 76. By A. Giordano.
Promoter of a sustainable and just food system, he also created the first University of Gastronomic Sciences in the world; he was not a believer, but he became friends with Pope Francis