Investigation details fatal courtroom shooting in northwestern Ont.
- The SIU cleared an officer on Feb. 12, 2026, after a provincial police officer fatally shot a 23-year-old man in a makeshift courtroom at Wapekeka First Nation on July 31, 2025.
- Told repeatedly to stop and drop the knife, the man advanced toward the provincial police officer, putting the lives of the officer, judge and court staff at risk in the makeshift courtroom at a youth centre.
- Medical evidence found that the officer's delay did not endanger the wounded 23-year-old man's life or contribute to his death after the shooting on July 31, 2025.
- The SIU forwarded concerns about the officer 'unnecessarily delayed in rendering first aid' to the Law Enforcement Complaints Agency and will raise it in his reporting letter to the Ontario Provincial Police commissioner.
- The Canadian Press first published this report on Feb. 12, 2026, and credited to Maan Alhmidi, story 598978.
20 Articles
20 Articles
Ontario police officer cleared in shooting death of First Nation man in makeshift courtroom
Ontario’s police watchdog has cleared an officer of any wrongdoing in connection with the shooting death of a 23-year-old man in Wapekeka First Nation. Here's what we know about the case in the remote Oji-Cree community, which took place in a makeshift courtroom inside a youth centre.
Investigation details fatal courtroom shooting in northwestern Ont.
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit has released its investigation after a 23-year-old man was shot and killed by police after he approached a judge in a courtroom while holding a knife last summer in northwestern Ontario.
Officer cleared in fatal northern Ontario court shooting, but SIU questions response
Breaking News, Sports, Manitoba, Canada
Officer cleared in fatal northern Ontario court shooting, but SIU questions response – 105.9 The Region
Ontario’s police watchdog says no criminal charges will be laid against a provincial police officer who fatally shot a man inside a courtroom in a remote part of northern Ontario last year. But the director of the Special Investigations Unit says there is evidence to suggest the officer “unnecessarily delayed in rendering first aid” to the man, and the matter will be referred to the Law Enforcement Complaints Agency. The SIU says the police offi…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 79% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium







