India Open to Be Moved to Guwahati in 2028
BAI said the Super 750 event will move because Republic Day security in the capital makes the late-January schedule difficult.
- On Sunday, Badminton Association of India secretary general Sanjay Mishra announced the 2028 India Open Super 750 will be held in Guwahati due to heightened security arrangements in the National Capital for Republic Day.
- The tournament is scheduled for January 25–30, 2028, when Mishra stated hosting in New Delhi would pose significant logistical and security challenges due to Republic Day celebrations during that period.
- Top players, including Anders Antonsen, have previously criticized the January-February window in New Delhi for severe winter air pollution and cold indoor stadium temperatures, urging the Badminton World Federation to reschedule.
- Guwahati successfully hosted the 2025 World Junior Championships, providing the BAI with organizational experience before the tournament returns to New Delhi in 2029 following the 2027 edition.
- Beyond the 2028 India Open, the BAI has submitted a bid to host the 2028 Thomas and Uber Cup, with Mishra expressing optimism about securing the prestigious event after the World Championships.
11 Articles
11 Articles
India Open to be moved to Guwahati in 2028: BAI
New Delhi, Aug 23 (PTI) Badminton Association of India secretary general Sanjay Mishra on Sunday said the 2028 India Open Super 750 tournament will be held in Guwahati as the dates will clash with the security arrangements in the National capital for the Republic Day. Top players, including Anders Antonsen, have criticized the India Open’s […]
Badminton: India Open to move to Guwahati in 2028, Delhi to host 2027 and 2029
The India Open will leave Delhi for Guwahati in 2028, with Republic Day logistics prompting the one-year shift, while the tournament stays in the capital in 2027 after being moved to February.
India Open 2028 to be held in Guwahati, confirms BAI secretary general
BAI secretary general Sanjay Mishra said the Super 750 event, scheduled for the last week of January 2028, would clash with heightened security protocols in the national capital around January 26.
2028 India Open badminton tournament to be held in Guwahati, confirms BAI secretary general Sanjay Mishra - The Tribune
The 2028 edition of the India Open badminton tournament will be held in Guwahati instead of New Delhi, Badminton Association of India (BAI) secretary general Sanjay Mishra said on Sunday.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 60% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium














