Skip to main content

We've updated our Privacy Policy. Questions? Email us any time at privacy@ground.news

Published loading...Updated

In Spain’s Ceuta, Hundreds of Migrants Stage Protest and Demand Asylum

Migrants demanded asylum and refused return to Morocco as officials said 5,000 to 8,000 people still remained in the enclave.

  • Hundreds of migrants staged a beach protest in Ceuta, demanding asylum instead of repatriation to Morocco. Protesters held Spanish flags and chanted, "We need a solution."
  • The protesters are among an estimated 5,000 to 8,000 migrants remaining in Ceuta after a mass border crossing two weeks ago that saw over 72,000 people surge into the territory.
  • Mohammed Ouanzar, a 39-year-old automation specialist from Fez, said average monthly salaries of 3,000 dirham made it impossible to buy a home or start a family.
  • Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska stated earlier this week that irregular migrants cannot stay in the enclave or travel to mainland Spain, except in rare cases of extreme vulnerability.
  • Health Minister Monica Garcia acknowledged local health services are under pressure but rejected claims of a "collapse," while medical board head Enrique Roviralta warned of potential disease outbreaks.
Insights by Ground AI

75 Articles

Lean Right

"All those who entered irregularly, whether they are minors or adults, must return to Morocco. It is the only way. There is no other way." It is the message in which...

·Madrid, Spain
Read Full Article
Lean Right

More than two weeks after the assault on the Spanish exclave Ceuta, thousands of migrants are still irregularly staying in Ceuta.

·Vienna, Austria
Read Full Article
Lean Left

"We are also human!", "We do not want to return to Morocco", "We are tired", "We want a solution!" chanted thousands of migrants who remained in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta. On Sunday, they staged a protest on the city's popular beach, calling on Spanish authorities to grant them asylum instead of sending them back to Morocco.

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 40% of the sources lean Right
40% Right

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Reuters broke the news in London, United Kingdom on Sunday, August 16, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal