Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Erdogan Slams Israel in Trump Call, Claims Escalating Actions in Gaza

Summary
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan used a phone call with President Donald Trump on Monday to once again criticize Israel, alleging that Jerusalem has stepped up its actions against Palestinians in Gaza as efforts continue to advance the next stage of the peace framework. Turkey’s Communications Directorate said in a statement reported by the Anadolu news agency that the two leaders discussed relations between Washington and Ankara as well as a series of regional and international issues. Turning to the situation in Gaza, Erdogan told Trump that despite ongoing efforts to move toward the second phase of the peace framework, there has been an “increase in actions by the Israeli government targeting Palestinians”. Ankara also reiterated its intention to remain involved in efforts surrounding Gaza and its eventual rebuilding. “Turkey will continue to support lasting peace in the region and steps to be taken for the reconstruction of Gaza,” according to the statement.
DisclaimerThis story is only covered by news sources that have yet to be evaluated by the independent media monitoring agencies we use to assess the quality and reliability of news outlets on our platform. Learn more here.

2 Articles

Erdogan Slams Israel in Trump Call, Claims Escalating Actions in Gaza

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan used a phone call with President Donald Trump on Monday to once again criticize Israel, alleging that Jerusalem has stepped up its actions against Palestinians in Gaza as efforts continue to advance the next stage of the peace framework. Turkey’s Communications Directorate said in a statement reported by the Anadolu news agency that the two leaders discussed relations between Washington and Ankara as well as a series of regional and international issues. Turning to the situation in Gaza, Erdogan told Trump that despite ongoing efforts to move toward the second phase of the peace framework, there has been an “increase in actions by the Israeli government targeting Palestinians”. Ankara also reiterated its intention to remain involved in efforts surrounding Gaza and its eventual rebuilding. “Turkey will continue to support lasting peace in the region and steps to be taken for the reconstruction of Gaza,” according to the statement. The conversation also covered tensions between the United States and Iran. Erdogan stressed the need to keep diplomacy at the center of efforts to address the dispute, describing that approach as “important” and expressing hope that negotiations would continue. He also reiterated Turkey’s willingness to assist efforts aimed at reaching a peaceful outcome. Erdogan additionally discussed the Mecca Joint Defense Agreement recently signed by Turkey, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia, saying the pact “demonstrates a strong stance in ensuring regional stability and security,” the statement said. Turkey and Israel had been moving toward repairing diplomatic relations before the Hamas-led October 7, 2023, terrorist massacre in southern Israel. Those ties quickly deteriorated following the attack and the subsequent war, with Turkish officials repeatedly denouncing Israel and Erdogan becoming particularly outspoken in his attacks on the Jewish state. In March of last year, Erdogan branded Israel a “terror state” after Israel launched preemptive strikes targeting terrorist infrastructure in Gaza. Several months later, Erdogan went further, claiming that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government represented the greatest threat to stability in the Middle East. The Turkish president renewed his attacks on Netanyahu’s government just last week, alleging that Israel was seeking to remove the Palestinian Arab issue from the international agenda. “The aim of the Netanyahu government is to remove Palestine from the common agenda of humanity by profiting from chaos and new conflicts in the region,” Erdogan alleged during a joint press briefing alongside Palestinian Authority chairman Mahmoud Abbas. Erdogan also pledged that Turkey would continue pushing for the establishment of a Palestinian state, insisting that Israel would not succeed in sidelining the issue. “No matter what they do, they will not succeed. The Palestinian cause will continue to grow in people’s hearts as they try to destroy it.” {Matzav.com}

Read Full Article

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's critical phone call with US President Donald Trump received widespread coverage in the Israeli press. Israel's Maariv newspaper reported the contact between Ankara and Washington under the headline "In the middle of the night: Erdoğan made a big move against Donald Trump." The newspaper highlighted Erdoğan's call for diplomacy on Iran, his harsh criticism of Israel regarding Gaza, and his comments on the Mecca Tr…

·Türkiye
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • There is no tracked Bias information for the sources covering this story.

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

A Haber broke the news in Türkiye on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)
News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal