Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Small Online Sellers Ponder Future as U.S. Ends De Minimis Exemption for Low-Cost Goods Entering Country

The policy ends duty-free imports under $800, impacting 1.36 billion annual packages and increasing costs for small businesses and online shoppers, officials said.

  • An executive order signed last month ends the de minimis exemption starting Aug. 29, eliminating duty-free entry for U.S. packages valued under $800.
  • The administration argues the White House said the exemption was abused to export fentanyl and contraband, prompting an executive order last month to accelerate its repeal.
  • About 1.36 billion packages entered under the exemption last year, valued at $64.6 billion, with tariffs ranging from 10% to 50% or a flat-duty option of $80 to $200 for six months.
  • Postal operators in Europe and elsewhere have temporarily halted many U.S.-bound parcels, causing small businesses and exporters to pause sales and face higher costs, with some fearing closures.
  • Companies may shift to express services or US fulfilment as carriers and postal networks upgrade IT to standardise duty collection; Josh Stillwagon said, `China accounted for about 60% of all the shipments that went in under this de minimis exemption`.
Insights by Ground AI
Does this summary seem wrong?

16 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 60% of the sources lean Left
60% Left

Factuality 

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

britishchambers.org.uk broke the news in on Tuesday, August 26, 2025.
Sources are mostly out of (0)
News
For You
Search
BlindspotLocal