Ebola Outbreak Becomes Deadliest in DR Congo's History
Health officials say the outbreak is spreading faster than any previous Ebola crisis, with 4,945 confirmed cases and treatment gaps worsening deaths.
- On Sunday, government data showed the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 2,325 people, surpassing the 2018-2020 outbreak to become the deadliest in the country's history.
- Caused by the Bundibugyo species of Ebola, this outbreak has no approved vaccines or treatments. Declared on May 15, weak health infrastructure and community resistance have fueled its spread.
- The case fatality ratio has risen from about 20% in early June to 46%, meaning nearly one in every two confirmed cases is fatal. Confirmed cases reached 4,945, including 101 new cases in the previous 24 hours.
- Thomas Parisch, a public health specialist with Medecins Sans Frontieres, stated that cases are detected late, "when treatment is less likely to succeed, with many identified only after they die in the community."
- Congo's 17th outbreak is dwarfed only by West Africa's 2014-2016 Ebola outbreak, which recorded 11,310 deaths. While the virus previously spread to Uganda, authorities there limited deaths to two and declared the outbreak over last month.
268 Articles
268 Articles
More than 5,000 cases of Ebola have been confirmed in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and nearly 2,400 people have died since the outbreak of the epidemic, according to the World Health Organization. Authorities warn that the actual number of infections could be significantly higher, reports DPA and Agerpres.
Ebola outbreak becomes deadliest in Congo history
The Ebola outbreak in the Congo is now the deadliest in the country’s history, according to new government data released on Monday. There have been a total of 4,945 confirmed cases and 2,325 deaths associated with this outbreak in the country since May. This tops the previous record set during the 2018 outbreak in the…
The number of confirmed Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo has surpassed 5,000. The highly contagious disease has infected 5,021 people since May, the World Health Organization (WHO) Africa office said.
The current Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 2,325 people, according to government figures, surpassing the country's previous worst outbreak of the disease between 2018 and 2020, when 2,299 people died.
The DRC’s deadliest Ebola outbreak ever
On Monday, public health officials said the virus had killed 2,325 people, exceeding the death toll of every previous Ebola outbreak in the country. For weeks, the outbreak has also spread faster than any earlier outbreak. And the full toll may be even higher: WHO officials recently said the outbreak had begun months before authorities declared it in May.
The number of people affected by Ebola in Congo continues to rise, as reported by the World Health Organization. There is no vaccine or therapy against the pathogen.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 41% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium









































