Hantavirus Cruise Operator Says Ship Was Not the Source of Deadly Outbreak
The operator says the virus likely spread before boarding as investigators trace the source of an outbreak that has killed three passengers.
- World Health Organization Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus reported Tuesday that 11 hantavirus cases are linked to an outbreak aboard the MV Hondius, including three fatalities and seven confirmed infections.
- Oceanwide Expeditions CEO Remi Bouysset stated current evidence suggests the virus was introduced prior to embarkation in Argentina, as the Andes strain is endemic to regions more than 1,000 kilometres north of Ushuaia.
- Although human-to-human transmission is uncommon, the Andes strain identified in this outbreak is the only variant known to spread between people; the WHO maintains that global risk remains low.
- The MV Hondius docked in the Dutch port of Rotterdam on Monday, where a reduced crew remains under quarantine; the ship will undergo complete cleaning and sanitization before returning to operations next month.
- Disembarked crew members face quarantine until June 29, while passengers previously left the vessel on the Spanish island of Tenerife earlier this month as investigations into transmission chains remain ongoing.
21 Articles
21 Articles
Since the appearance of cases on board a cruise ship from Argentina, the MV "Hondius", the fear of a new pandemic revives the bad memories of the Covid period, but not only. In the Jura, as in the northeastern quarter of France, cases are regularly observed. And if it is not the same strain as that found on the cruise ship, Jurassians who contracted the disease keep a very bad memory of it.
The clean-up and disinfection operations began on board the MV Hondius after its return on Monday to the port of Rotterdam (Netherlands). "There is every reason to believe that the Hantavirus does not come from the ship", said Tuesday the CEO of the Dutch cruise ship Oceanwide Expeditions. The next departure of the MV Hondius is scheduled on 13 June for a voyage to the Arctic. - "There is every reason to believe that the Hantavirus does not come…
Flesinga, The Netherlands. The cruiser operator affected by a deadly Hantavirus outbreak said the virus was likely introduced before passengers boarded and did not originate on the ship. The MV Hondius, operated by the Dutch company Oceanwide Expeditions, caught headlines for the death of three passengers by Hantavirus, a rare virus for which there are no vaccines or specific treatments. “The indications strongly point to the virus being introdu…
Hantavirus outbreak doesn't appear to have originated on Dutch cruise ship, CEO says
The head of Oceanwide Expeditions says the information gathered to date about a deadly cluster of hantavirus cases "strongly" suggests the outbreak that hit his company's cruise ship did not originate on the vessel itself.
Cruise Operator Claims Hantavirus Outbreak Did Not Originate From Ship Despite Three Deaths
The operator of a cruise ship at the centre of a fatal hantavirus outbreak is insisting the vessel was not the source of infection, even after three passengers died and several others fell ill during a transatlantic voyage. The company is now trying to calm fears about a rare and often deadly virus that has no specific treatment or vaccine, as investigators race to pinpoint where the outbreak began. Oceanwide Expeditions said preliminary medical…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 57% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium












