Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Britain's royals face their worst crisis in 90 years over Andrew's Epstein links

Prince Andrew was held for 11 hours on suspicion of misconduct linked to Jeffrey Epstein, marking the first senior royal arrest in nearly 400 years amid a widening investigation.

  • On Thursday, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested at Sandringham and spent around 11 hours in custody before being released 'under investigation', with images running on Friday.
  • Following the U.S. Justice Department releasing Epstein files last month, investigators allege he sent confidential reports to Jeffrey Epstein while serving as a UK trade envoy.
  • Commentators warned this is the monarchy's worst crisis in 90 years, while Anna Whitelock, royal historian, said it was the first arrest of a royal in centuries.
  • King Charles III issued a personally signed statement that `the law must take its course` and said Buckingham Palace would support the police probe, while campaign group Republic renewed calls for abolition.
  • Pressure now falls on Prince of Wales and Catherine, Princess of Wales, to restore royal integrity as YouGov's January poll showed only 3% viewed Mountbatten-Windsor favourably and 90% held a negative opinion.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

99 Articles

Lean Right

After the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor for suspicion of abuse of office, his daughters Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie are supposed to be planning a crisis meeting, including King Charles.

Read Full Article
tz.detz.de
+2 Reposted by 2 other sources
Center

As the royal house sinks into the Epstein scandal, she shines in the stadium: Princess Kate sets a remarkable sign.

Read Full Article
Lean Right

Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie are to plan a crisis meeting after the arrest of ex-Prince Andrew. Meanwhile, the British government is working on its exclusion from the succession of the throne.

·Berlin, Germany
Read Full Article
Lean Left

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor spent his 66th birthday in police custody. For his daughters the situation is supposed to be particularly distressing.

Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 37% of the sources lean Left
37% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The Independent broke the news in London, United Kingdom on Thursday, February 19, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal