Published • loading... • Updated
As French far-right leader Marine Le Pen’s appeal trial ends, her presidential bid is at stake
The court's ruling will determine if Marine Le Pen’s five-year ban for misusing over €4 million in EU funds stands, impacting her 2027 presidential candidacy.
- On Feb 11 at a Paris appeals court, Marine Le Pen's lawyers told judges she had no intent to offend as the final day will decide her 2027 presidential eligibility.
- After a conviction, Le Pen was hit with a five-year ban from public office; judges ruled that between 2004 and 2016, funds meant for European Parliament work were diverted to party staff, with more than €4 million misappropriated.
- Last week prosecutors sought a five-year ban but eased an earlier, broader demand, while Le Pen hopes the appeal will overturn or reduce the ban so she can contest 2027.
- If barred, RN president Jordan Bardella is expected to run in her place, and a decision near the spring 2027 vote risks upending the party's strategy.
- The Cour de Cassation has said it would try to rule on any final appeal before the election, creating pressure to resolve eligibility ahead of the 2027 election.
Insights by Ground AI
27 Articles
27 Articles
Still Standing on February 12, 2026
While Marine Le Pen faces a penalty of ineligibility – the prosecutor's office required four years in prison, including a firm year, and five years of ineligibility – preventing him from running for office in the presidential election of 2027, this date was very expected.
·France
Read Full ArticleCoverage Details
Total News Sources27
Leaning Left10Leaning Right4Center8Last UpdatedBias Distribution46% Left
Bias Distribution
- 46% of the sources lean Left
46% Left
L 46%
C 36%
R 18%
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium
















