Alleged Bondi Beach gunman makes first court appearance
- On Feb 16, 2026, accused Naveed Akram appeared via video link from Goulburn Correctional Centre at Sydney's Downing Centre Local Court for his first public hearing, which lasted about five minutes.
- The December 14 attack targeted a Hanukkah event at Bondi Beach attended by about 1,000 people, killing 15 and injuring dozens in Australia's deadliest terror attack in about 30 years.
- Police allege the pair threw several improvised explosive devices, including three pipe bombs and a 'tennis ball bomb', while evidence includes videos of the men with an Islamic State flag, long‑arm firearms, a box‑like bomb, and hand‑painted ISIS flags found in their vehicle.
- The short hearing ended with the case adjourned and suppression orders extended so victim-survivors can choose if and when to identify themselves, and the matter will return in March with Akram next due on April 9.
- The attack prompted a Royal Commission and legislative moves on guns and hate speech after officials flagged Akram in 2019 but judged he posed no imminent threat.
62 Articles
62 Articles
Naweed Akram, the main charge of the gun attack on the Bondi beach, appeared in court for the first time, two months after he and his father had been the most serious armed attack in Australia for nearly 30 years, writes BBC.
Suspect in mass shooting at Sydney Jewish festival appears in court
A man accused of killing 15 people in a mass shooting at a Jewish festival on Sydney’s Bondi Beach has appeared in court for the first time since his release from the hospital.
Sydney's Bondi Beach attack suspect, Naveed Akram, appeared in his first public hearing in an Australian court via videoconference today. Akram is charged with terrorism and several other offences after he and his father carried out a shooting rampage on Bondi Beach in December that killed 15 people. His father died at the scene of the attack.
Bondi Beach shooter Naveed Akram appears in court, says just two words
Naveed Akram, the surviving Bondi Beach terrorist, appeared before a court for the first time. Naveed and his father Sajid Akram, who had decades ago migrated from Hyderabad, shot dead 15 people on December 14, which was one of Australia's deadliest terror attacks. In court, Naveed said just two words.
According to media reports, the alleged assassin from Bondi Beach in Sydney appeared in court for the first time on Monday – via video conference from a high-security prison. The 24-year-old is said to have killed 15 people together with his father. Among the 59 crimes charged to the man are 15-fold murder, 40-fold attempted murder and a terrorist offence. According to the police, he and his 50-year-old father committed the crime on 14 December …
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 35% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


























