Afghan vetting process under renewed scrutiny following National Guard shooting in DC
The shooting near the White House by a vetted Afghan national prompted the U.S. to pause Afghan immigration and review vetting of over 85,000 evacuees, officials said.
- On Nov. 26, 2025, law enforcement identified 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal as the shooter who wounded two National Guardsmen near the White House, and President Donald Trump condemned the attack, calling for a full reassessment of Afghan arrivals under President Biden.
- Amid the chaotic evacuation, officials say the urgency and volume overtook normal screening, increasing risks despite Rahmanullah Lakanwal undergoing vetting rounds from around 2011 to earlier this year.
- Entering on humanitarian parole, Rahmanullah Lakanwal settled in Washington state with his family, applied for asylum last year, and was among more than 190,000 Afghans admitted after the withdrawal.
- On Thursday, the administration announced the Department of Homeland Security stopped processing immigration requests for Afghan nationals and USCIS Director Joe Edlow ordered reexamination of green cards from 19 countries of concern.
- With conflicting assessments, a Justice Department Inspector General audit found no systemic vetting breakdowns, while Trump administration officials argued that expedited standards let risks through amid over 85k Afghans rapidly admitted.
37 Articles
37 Articles
'Create chaos, chaos follows': W. Va. GOP leader says DC shooting stems from Afghan withdrawal debacle · American Wire News
A West Virginia GOP leader said that the horrific pre-Thanksgiving shooting of two National Guard members from his state was a product of President Joe Biden’s disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan. The Wednesday shooting that left 20-year-old Sarah Beckstrom of Summersville, W.Va., dead and 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe of Inwood, W.Va., fighting for his life was carried out by suspect Rahmahullah Lakanwal, an Afghan refugee who reportedly worked w…
President Donald Trump blames Joe Biden's government for this week's shooting of two members of the National Guard in Washington and insists that the suspect, a 29-year-old Afghan, was among the millions...
Afghan vetting process under renewed scrutiny following National Guard shooting in DC
President Donald Trump is blaming the Biden administration for this week’s shooting of two National Guard members in Washington, DC, in part by insisting that the suspect, a 29-year-old Afghan, was among millions of foreigners Biden allowed into the US without proper vetting.
Questions emerge about National Guard shooter's motives and the impact on immigrants
More details are coming to light about the shooting of two West Virginia National Guard members that happened earlier this week blocks from the White House. New questions are also emerging about the motives of the shooter, and what the attack could mean for immigrants across the country. White House correspondent Liz Landers has the story.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 61% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


















