A new US government site could help users worldwide access blocked content
- Yesterday Reuters reported the U.S. State Department is developing a website at freedom.gov to help people in Europe and other regions access content blocked by their governments under Undersecretary for Public Diplomacy Sarah Rogers.
- Responding to European rules like the DSA, the State Department said the portal aims to expand digital freedom worldwide rather than target Europe, citing frustration with the EU's Digital Services Act.
- Developers plan to route traffic through U.S.-based VPN servers so user activity will not be tracked, and the landing page shows a Paul Revere animation and the slogan 'Freedom is Coming'.
- Despite reports of postponement, the State Department said it denied any delay and has no Europe-specific circumvention programme despite some officials raising legal concerns.
- Some officials say the move could worsen U.S.-EU regulatory and diplomatic frictions as Elon Musk's X faces scrutiny and the European Commission fines X $140 million under the DSA.
49 Articles
49 Articles
On January 12, the United States registered the domain "freedom.gov" which, combined with a Vpn, would allow to consult the Web by circumventing the many limitations dictated by Brussels on politics, gender, Covid and immigration.The US Department of State prepares to meet the freedom of expression and information of us Europeans and the European Union is offended. On January 12, the US registered the domain "freedom.gov" which combined with a n…
US website 'freedom.gov' will allow Europeans to view hate speech and other blocked content
The US State Department is building a web portal, where Europeans and anyone else can see online content banned by their governments, according to Reuters. It was supposed to be launched at Munich Security Conference last month, but some state department officials reportedly voiced their concerns about the project. The portal will be hosted on freedom.gov, which currently just shows the image above. “Freedom is Coming,” the homepage reads. “Info…
Freedom.gov is America’s latest insult to Europe
Are we behind the iron curtain now? Four decades ago, Radio Free Europe broadcast Western news from Vienna into the Warsaw Pact nations. Yesterday, the US Department of Homeland Security launched Freedom.gov, a website which promises to help Brits avoid the Online Safety Act’s content censorship powers — and other Europeans to overcome their own speech regulations. Right now, the site is still a blank, Paul Revere’s pony spinning its legs in a c…
The US State Department is to launch a site that allows users in Europe and other regions to view content that is banned in their home countries, including material classified as hate speech and terrorist propaganda, Reuters reports, citing sources.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 45% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium



















