Yahya Abdul-Mateen II has a theory about Marvel's 'Wonder Man' cancellation
- On Thursday, Wonder Man star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II questioned Marvel's "obvious" optics following his Emmy-nominated series cancellation, arguing the studio must prioritize changing its narrative regarding project support.
- Marvel abruptly canceled Wonder Man last month despite a Season 2 renewal, while Mahershala Ali confirmed his Blade movie was dead—both projects scrapped within two days.
- Abdul-Mateen stated the studio cited viewership numbers as the cancellation reason, though he was never shown actual figures. Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige admitted feeling like a "gigantic loser and failure" regarding Blade.
- Online discourse immediately scrutinized Marvel's handling of Black-led projects following the dual cancellations. Abdul-Mateen maintained his show produced quality results that viewers and voters responded to positively.
- Abdul-Mateen argued Marvel should prioritize changing its narrative through quality stories and resources. He maintained the show deserved thorough study regarding why it failed to continue despite having all the necessary ingredients.
24 Articles
24 Articles
Disney's 'Wonder Man' Star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Accuses Studio of Bad Racial 'Optics' Over Show's Cancellation
Marvel super hero actor Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is reacting to the cancellation of his streaming series, "Wonder Man," and he clearly thinks that there is a racial component to the cancellation.
'Wonder Man' Star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Implies Series' Cancellation Has Something To Do With Race
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, the star of the recently canceled Marvel Studios TV Wonder Man, implied that race had something to do with the fate of the series. is asking a pointed question about Marvel and Disney — and he’s not softening the implication. While both fans and critics largely acclaimed Wonder Man’s first season after it launched […] The post ‘Wonder Man’ Star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Implies Series’ Cancellation Has Something To Do With Rac…
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II Says "Optics Are Obvious" Of 'Wonder Man' Cancellation & 'Blade' Reboot Delays: "It Should Be A Priority To Change That Narrative"
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II shares his take on the online discourse over Disney and Marvel’s decision to cancel Wonder Man after one season, and the continued postponement of the Blade reboot. In a new interview, the actor is asked about the conjecture that fans are making about the Disney+ series and the Marvel superhero film, both led by Black men. […]
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II says ‘Wonder Man’ was canceled over ‘viewership numbers’
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is sharing the surprising reason why ‘Wonder Man’ was canceled after previously being renewed for a second season: ‘Our show does deserve some study.’
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 45% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






















