Published 1 hour ago • loading... • Updated 2 hours ago
UN aid chief warns Russian drones threaten civilians and aid work in Ukraine
Fletcher said more than $2 billion is needed for Ukraine aid this year as drone attacks and winter risks strain relief efforts.
On Wednesday, Tom Fletcher, United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, warned that intensifying drone attacks against civilians and aid workers are hindering relief operations in Ukraine during an interview in Kyiv.
Russian and Ukrainian forces occupy opposite banks of the Dnipro River in Kherson, where Fletcher described the situation as 'quite chilling' because drones routinely hunt civilians, vehicles, and public transit from across the water.
A new assessment released Wednesday showed 907 aid workers were victims of violence last year, with over 1,000 killed in three years, underscoring the escalating danger humanitarian workers face globally.
Fletcher said the organization seeks $23 billion for global humanitarian assistance but has raised only about $11 billion, with more than $2 billion prioritized for Ukraine this year as governments redirect spending toward defense.
Winter threatens to leave millions vulnerable as damage to civilian infrastructure could repeat last winter's severe conditions, while Fletcher expressed concern the international community has failed to ensure accountability for attacks on aid workers.
KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — The increasing use of drones against civilians and humanitarian workers is a dangerous obstacle to aid operations in Ukraine, UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said Wednesday.