Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Top Iran official says US focus on economic warfare shows it has failed militarily

Iranian officials call the threat economic terrorism as Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warns of broader secondary sanctions and says China buys about 90% of Iranian oil.

  • Earlier this week, President Trump promised "the most crushing economic operation ever taken against any country" on Truth Social, threatening an "economic D-Day" via secondary sanctions against nations providing lifelines to Iran.
  • Following the expiration of a 60-day memorandum to negotiate peace, diplomatic efforts remain stalled as ideological hard-liners consolidate control over parts of the Iranian government.
  • Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent claimed on Thursday that Iran faces the "greatest coordinated economic isolation in the history of the world," though he declined to confirm if China, which buys about 90 percent of Iranian oil, would be targeted.
  • On Friday, Iran's parliamentary speaker Mohammad Baqer Ghalibaf dismissed the threat, stating it reveals Washington's inability to prevail militarily, while Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi condemned the pivot as "economic terrorism."
  • A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman called for negotiations instead of sanctions on Friday, as analysts note that Iranians facing an existential threat are willing to endure greater economic costs for survival.
Insights by Ground AI

15 Articles

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 50% of the sources lean Left
50% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

npr broke the news in Washington, United States on Friday, August 21, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal