Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Six Americans Exposed to Ebola in DRC

The CDC is coordinating treatment and monitoring as the rare Bundibugyo strain has killed at least 80 people and prompted a global health emergency, officials said.

  • The World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday, with over 300 suspected cases and 118 deaths reported across Congo and Uganda by Monday.
  • Congolese health officials confirmed the rare Bundibugyo strain on May 14 following a delayed response, after initial tests for the Zaire strain returned negative; the first death occurred on April 24 in Bunia.
  • An American doctor is among the newly confirmed cases in the outbreak, which has no approved vaccines or therapeutics; CBS News reported on Sunday that at least six Americans have been exposed to the virus in Congo.
  • Rwanda closed its land border with Congo on Sunday as Africa CDC chief Dr. Jean Kaseya told Sky News he is in "panic mode" due to lack of medicines, while the U.S. activated Title 42 containment measures.
  • Eastern Congo, where Ituri has over 273 displaced people, already grapples with a humanitarian crisis and armed groups, complicating containment efforts more than 620 miles from Kinshasa.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

137 Articles

Radio France InternationaleRadio France Internationale
Reposted by
Herald SunHerald Sun
Center

US to screen for Ebola at airports, one American in DR Congo infected

·Paris, France
Read Full Article
Center

Epidemiologist Maximilian Gertler described the so far known extent of the Ebola epidemic in Congo as "extremely worrying". However, he estimated that the risk of introduction to Germany was low.

·Germany
Read Full Article
Lean Right

An American missionary was positive for the Ebola virus after being exposed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, as reported on Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in the United States. Satish Pillai, coordinator of the CDC response to Ebola, stated in a conference that the missionary presents symptoms and has been sent to Germany for medical care. CDC is also managing the transfer to Germany of six other people who migh…

·Mexico
Read Full Article
Right

The CDC noted that the risk to the US remains relatively low, but is introducing a series of measures to prevent the disease from entering the country.

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 64% of the sources are Center
64% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The Washington Post broke the news on Sunday, May 17, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal