Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Sara Duterte: Philippine Vice-President to Run for President in 2028

Sara Duterte pledges to tackle corruption and crime while facing impeachment complaints and her father's ICC trial as she prepares for the 2028 presidential race.

  • On February 18, 2026, Vice President Sara Duterte announced at a Mandaluyong City press conference she will run for president in the 2028 national elections, saying `Ako si Sara Duterte tatakbo bilang pangulo ng Pilipinas`.
  • Facing revived impeachment efforts and political tensions, Duterte said sustained attacks from the Marcos administration left her little reason to wait, amid a widening rift and complaints filed earlier this month.
  • She outlined policy priorities including an independent foreign policy and tougher crime and drugs measures, listing rising prices and flooding among administration failures and saying `I offer my life, my strength, and my future in the service of our nation`, she said Wednesday.
  • Legal risks persist: the House of Representatives is expected to initiate fresh impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte, and under the Philippine constitution, a conviction could bar her from public office and trigger a Senate trial.
  • Her early entry reshapes the 2028 field, as Marcos is ineligible for re-election and Duterte's strong support in Mindanao is evident, days before her father's ICC pre-trial hearing.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

96 Articles

Lean Right

It was widely expected that Sara would succeed her father, Rodrigo Duterte (2016-2022), in the 2022 presidential elections, but she resigned in favour of Marcos Jr., with whom she formed an alliance.

·Portugal
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 42% of the sources are Center
42% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

The Hamilton Spectator broke the news in Hamilton, Canada on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal