Measles Outbreak in Oregon Probably Bigger, New Wastewater Testing Shows
Wastewater testing reveals measles virus in multiple Oregon counties, indicating wider spread beyond five confirmed cases, with vaccination coverage below the 95% threshold.
- On Thursday, the Oregon Health Authority said Oregon has confirmed five measles cases so far this year, and wastewater tests found measles virus traces across multiple counties for two-week periods ending Feb. 7 and Feb. 14.
- State-Run wastewater surveillance began in October to test sewage for infectious diseases, while vaccination data show 90.5% of kindergarteners were fully vaccinated in 2024-2025, below the roughly 95% coverage officials say is needed, with last year’s nonmedical exemptions at 9.7%.
- For the two-week period ending Feb. 7, tests showed low levels of measles in Multnomah, Benton, Clackamas, Clatsop, Jackson, Josephine, Lincoln, Linn and Morrow counties, officials said.
- State officials declined to release patient ages or counties citing privacy concerns, while Oregon Health Authority leaders urged families and health care providers to use wastewater data for timely protection.
- Measles is among the most contagious viruses and spreads through the air for up to two hours, with up to 90% of unvaccinated people infected and about 910 national cases confirmed this year.
20 Articles
20 Articles
Oregon health officials declare measles outbreak with five confirmed cases • Washington State Standard
Photo of a single dose of the MMR vaccine. (Photo by Joshua Haiar/South Dakota Searchlight)State health officials declared a measles outbreak Thursday following five confirmed cases in Oregon. Dr. Howard Chiou, medical director for communicable diseases and immunizations for the Oregon Health Authority’s Public Health Division, warned during a virtual press conference Thursday morning that those cases likely represent a fraction of the actual n…
Oregon health officials declare measles outbreak with five confirmed cases
Photo of a single dose of the MMR vaccine. (Photo by Joshua Haiar/South Dakota Searchlight)State health officials declared a measles outbreak Thursday following five confirmed cases in Oregon. Dr. Howard Chiou, medical director for communicable diseases and immunizations for the Oregon Health Authority’s Public Health Division, warned during a virtual press conference Thursday morning that those cases likely represent a fraction of the actual n…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 73% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium













