Hanwha, Fincantieri Shares Rise After Trump Opens Navy Shipbuilding to Foreign Yards
The memo applies to foreign shipbuilders with major U.S. investments and could open the door to more overseas-built Navy vessels, analysts said.
- On Thursday, President Donald Trump signed a national security memorandum permitting foreign shipbuilders to construct up to two U.S. Navy ships in their home shipyards to help rebuild the domestic shipbuilding industrial base.
- The memorandum promotes a "Finland model" approach where the U.S. acquires vessels from allied shipyards before transferring production domestically, leveraging Korea's $350 billion investment pledge under last year's bilateral trade deal.
- To qualify, foreign shipbuilders must make "substantial and durable investments" in U.S. facilities; Hanwha Group's acquisition of the Hanwha Philly Shipyard in Philadelphia exemplifies this requirement and positions the company as a likely beneficiary.
- While Hanwha is positioned to benefit, the memorandum faces potential conflict with the House-approved National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2027, which restricts defense funds for foreign-built ships.
- Implementation requires transferring shipbuilding expertise and know-how to the U.S., while the defense secretary must establish a fifth naval shipyard—the first in over 80 years—to expand submarine and aircraft carrier repair capacity.
20 Articles
20 Articles
Trump allows Navy to build ships abroad
President Donald Trump has allowed the Navy to build ships overseas and ordered it to abandon a complex system for launching jet fighters from its aircraft carriers and instead return to using steam catapults, the White House said.
Hanwha, Fincantieri shares rise after Trump opens Navy shipbuilding to foreign yards
The USS John F. Kennedy, one of the largest warships in the US fleet, has set sail for final tests. The countdown has begun for the 100,000-ton vessel within the US military.
Trump signs memo permitting foreign shipbuilders to build up to 2 US ships in their shipyards
WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday signed a national security memorandum permitting foreign shipbuilders to build up to two ships...
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 46% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium



















