Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Nearly 900 visas revoked related to birth tourism, U.S. Department of State says

The crackdown targets networks accused of coaching applicants to misstate their travel purpose and using visa fraud to secure U.S. citizenship for children.

  • The Trump administration has revoked nearly 900 visas as part of an escalating crackdown on birth tourism, State Department spokesperson Tommy Pigott announced Friday. The total rose significantly since officials previously reported over 600 revocations.
  • Birth tourism involves foreign nationals traveling to the United States primarily to give birth, aiming for their children to obtain citizenship. A 2020 State Department rule authorizes consular officers to deny visitor visas when they suspect childbirth is the primary travel purpose.
  • Pigott accused operators of presenting themselves as healthcare providers while coaching applicants to misrepresent their intentions to consular officers. He alleged these networks profit by selling United States citizenship through deception.
  • Applicants who provide false information during the visa process face serious immigration consequences, the administration emphasized. Targeting individuals who misrepresent travel intentions, the crackdown aims to deter visa fraud and protect United States citizenship processes.
  • Foreign nationals are not categorically barred from traveling to the United States while pregnant, officials clarified. The crackdown focuses on visa fraud and misrepresentation, though the department has not provided a breakdown of revocations by nationality.
Insights by Ground AI
Podcasts & Opinions

44 Articles

Is it legal for a pregnant woman to travel to the United States? By José López Zamorano For The Hispanic Network The Trump administration's new offensive against so-called “birth tourism” places an uncomfortable question at the center of the immigration debate: when is a pregnant woman's trip legitimate tourism and when does it become fraud? President Donald Trump signed an executive order on August 6 instructing the state and national security …

·Minneapolis, United States
Read Full Article
Center

Open the article to view the coverage from El Diario

KXANKXAN
+2 Reposted by 2 other sources
Center

Nearly 900 visas revoked related to birth tourism, U.S. Department of State says

Birth tourism has become a hotly debated issue over the summer. President Donald Trump issued an executive order on Aug. 6 to end birth tourism.

·Austin, United States
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 55% of the sources are Center
55% Center

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

ussanews.com broke the news on Thursday, August 20, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal