Iran link to Australian synagogue attack uncovered via funding trail, spy agency says
Younes Ali Younes, 20, charged with arson causing millions in damage; Australia alleges Iran used criminal networks to disguise involvement in attacks.
- Australia expelled Iran's ambassador Ahmad Sadeghi and three officials on August 27, 2025, following a synagogue arson attack in Melbourne.
- The expulsion followed Australian intelligence linking the December 6, 2024, Adass Israel Synagogue arson and another 2024 attack on a Sydney kosher restaurant to Iran's Revolutionary Guard.
- The man charged in the Melbourne attack, Younes Ali Younes, 20, allegedly stole a car to carry out the arson which gutted the synagogue and injured a worshipper.
- Prime Minister Albanese said security forces traced a supply chain linking the attacks to Iran and called the use of intermediaries 'cut outs' to hide Tehran's involvement.
- Australia's diplomatic actions and intelligence warnings from Western allies suggest sustained covert Iranian attacks using criminal proxies, while Iran denies all allegations.
18 Articles
18 Articles


‘Albo knew about attacks but rewarded Iran’: Cash blasts PM
Liberal heavyweight lashes Prime Minister over his support for Palestinian statehood, saying the move had only ‘rewarded’ Iran — which orchestrated anti-Semitic attacks in Australia.
Synagogue arson suspect in court for attack Australia says ordered by Iran
MELBOURNE: A man charged with setting fire to a Melbourne synagogue appeared in court on Wednesday (Aug 27) over an attack Australia says was orchestrated by Iran and has led to the expulsion of Tehran's ambassador.
Melbourne Synagogue Arson: Accusations Against Iran and Arrests
The arson at Melbourne's Adass Israel Synagogue, linked to Iran's Revolutionary Guard, has led to arrests and escalating diplomatic tensions. Alleged attackers Younes Ali Younes and Giovanni Laulu face multiple charges. Australia blames Iran, resulting in expelled diplomats and heightened security concerns among Jewish Australians.
Iran Link to Australian Synagogue Attack Uncovered via Funding Trail, Spy Agency Says
PM Albanese Said Australia's Intelligence Agencies Had Shown the Attack, and Another in Sydney Last Year, Were Directed by the Iranian Government, and Expelled Tehran's Ambassador, Becoming the Latest Western Government to Accuse Iran of Carrying Out Hostile Covert Activities on Its Soil
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 58% of the sources lean Right
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium