Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Louvre official says fraud ‘inevitable’ at large museums as France probes multimillion euro scheme

  • On February 19, Paris prosecutors said a decade-long suspected ticket-fraud scheme at the Louvre was revealed last week, with nine people detained and losses estimated over 10 million euros.
  • With 86,000 square meters, 35,000 works, and 9 million visitors, the Louvre's scale and online ticketing increase fraud vulnerability, especially under visitor caps.
  • Prosecutors allege tour guides, including two Chinese tour guides, reused tickets at multiple access points and split groups to avoid a `speaking fee`; the museum limited tickets to two scans and suspended two Louvre employees during the probe.
  • On February 19, MPs leading the parliamentary inquiry said systemic failures caused the $100-million robbery, increasing pressure on Laurence des Cars before auditions next week with Culture Minister Rachida Dati.
  • The French culture ministry ordered an internal audit, and senators are holding hearings into the crown-jewels heist while four suspects remain in custody and the eight stolen items valued at 88 million euros are still missing.
Insights by Ground AI

20 Articles

Right

The most visited museum in the world is caught up by its flaws. After several weeks of hearings, the parliamentary committee of inquiry on the security of the Louvre museum draws at the mid-point a severe observation of the management of the Louvre, which it describes as a "state in the state", reports Le Parisien. MP LR Alexandre Portier and the rapporteur of the Alexis Corbière commission have carried out nearly 70 auditions, at this stage the…

Systemic errors led to the robbery of more than 84 million euros at the Louvre museum in Paris last year, lawmakers leading an investigation said on Thursday, increasing pressure on embattled director Laurence des Cars.

·Vilnius, Lithuania
Read Full Article
Lean Right

According to MP LR Alexandre Portier, who is surprised that the president of the Louvre was maintained by the government, it is necessary to "reorder" the way the museum is governed.

·Paris, France
Read Full Article
Le MondeLe Monde
Reposted by
franceinfo.frfranceinfo.fr
Lean Left

The Minister of Culture, Rachida Dati, and the President of the Louvre, Laurence des Cars, will be heard next week by the committee of inquiry of the National Assembly on museum security, also announced its president, the MP (LR) Alexandre Portier.

·Paris, France
Read Full Article
Right

A committee investigating museum security issues stressed that "the Museum's administration currently exhibits serious weaknesses"

Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 40% of the sources lean Left
40% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Los Angeles Times broke the news in Los Angeles, United States on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal