Ebola Fears Surge on the Ground in Congo over Rapid Spread of a Rare Type
- On Wednesday, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus reported that Ebola risk is high in Congo and Uganda at national and regional levels, though low globally, with 51 confirmed cases in Ituri and North Kivu provinces.
- The Bundibugyo virus spread undetected for weeks following the first known death in Bunia on April 24, as initial testing for more common Ebola types returned negative, complicating early containment efforts for the rare strain.
- In Bunia, Residents face rising prices for protective gear, with disinfectants surging from 2,500 to 10,000 Congolese francs , while Dr. Didier Pay of Mongbwalu General Hospital reported treating around 30 patients.
- Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters on Tuesday that the Trump administration would "lean into" Ebola response efforts, contributing $13 million toward funding 50 emergency clinics in affected areas.
- The outbreak could last at least another two months according to WHO team leaders, while local civil society leader Kuku Ndilawa warned that containment efforts are hampered by a lack of handwashing stations and armed rebels in eastern Congo.
28 Articles
28 Articles
BUNIA, Democratic Republic of Congo (AP) — Health workers in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo said Wednesday they lack sufficient protection and are under-trained in the face of an outbreak of a rare type of…
Ebola fears surge on the ground in Congo over rapid spread of a rare type
BUNIA, Congo — Anxious healthcare workers in eastern Congo said Wednesday they are underprotected and undertrained in the face of a rapidly spreading Ebola outbreak of a rare type of the virus in one of the world’s most remote and vulnerable places. “It’s truly sad and painful because we’ve already been through a security crisis, and now Ebola is here too,” said Justin Ndasi, a resident of Bunia, site of the first known death that was announced …
Fears surge on the ground in Congo over rapid spread of a rare type of Ebola
Healthcare workers in eastern Congo say they are underprotected and undertrained amid a rapidly spreading outbreak of a rare Ebola virus
Fears surge on the ground in Congo over the spread of rare type of Ebola
The World Health Organization says the risk of spread of the Ebola virus' Bundibugyo strain is high in Congo and Uganda but low globally.
The Ebola situation in Africa is escalating. More and more people are dying from the virus. More than 500 suspected cases have already been reported – the WHO warns.
WHO Records 500 Suspected Ebola Cases in DR Congo
The World Health Organisation (WHO), says more than 500 suspected Ebola cases, including about 130 suspected deaths, have been reported in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), although only 30 cases have so far been confirmed. WHO representative in DRC, Dr. Anne Ancia, told reporters in Geneva on Tuesday that health officials were working with authorities and deploying more testing kits to eastern DRC to detect the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola,…
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 73% of the sources lean Left
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium











