South Africa: They Ran From the Buses, Turns Out Most of Them Had Nothing to Hide
8 Articles
8 Articles
Xenophobia: S’African mayor transfers Nigerians for status screening
eThekwini Mayor Cyril Xaba ordered the transfer of Nigerians and other African nationals in Durban for legal status screening amidst rising xenophobia in S Read More: https://punchng.com/xenophobia-safrican-mayor-transfers-nigerians-for-status-screening/
On Thursday, 21 May, the South African authorities evacuated nearly 400 foreign refugees to a religious centre in Durban, where they had settled for fear of increasingly virulent anti-migrant groups. In total, some 400 people were taken to a government centre for refugees, which took place six months after local elections and in a context of increased xenophobic discourse in South Africa.
South Africa: They Ran From the Buses, Turns Out Most of Them Had Nothing to Hide
eThekwini Mayor Cyril Xaba confirmed that just one person was arrested after authorities checked nearly 460 foreign nationals at the Diakonia Centre in Durban. Home Affairs KwaZulu-Natal manager Cyril Mncwabe said of the two without valid documents, one had a rejected permit application and the other carried a fraudulent permit.
Diakonia foreign nationals remain outside refugee centre as protests spread nationwide
By Charmaine Ndlela and Johnathan Paoli Several foreign nationals displaced by anti-immigrant tensions in Durban were on Friday still camped outside the Home Affairs Refugee Reception Centre on Moore Road, despite authorities confirming that the overwhelming majority are legally documented asylum seekers and refugees. Speaking to Inside Politics, KZN SAPS spokesperson Colonel Robert Netshiunda said officers had been deployed overnight to maintai…
They ran from the buses, turns out most of them had nothing to hide
Listen to this article. By Celani Sikhakhane eThekwini Mayor Cyril Xaba confirmed that just one person was arrested after authorities checked nearly 460 foreign nationals at the Diakonia Centre in Durban. Home Affairs KwaZulu-Natal manager Cyril Mncwabe said of the two without valid documents, one had a rejected permit application and the other carried a fraudulent permit. Of 459 foreign nationals processed in Durban on Thursday, only two were…
South African authorities today removed dozens of foreigners who had taken refuge in a church building in Durban, fearing they would be targeted by violent anti-immigrant groups. More...
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 67% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium






