Published 7 hours ago • loading... • Updated 26 minutes ago
China urges US to immediately withdraw drone tariffs
China said the 100% duties would distort competition and disrupt a drone market where DJI holds more than two-thirds of global sales.
On Thursday, President Donald Trump's administration prepared to implement tariffs of up to 100% on imported drones, prompting Beijing to urge Washington to "immediately withdraw" the planned levies before their September 3 start date.
The White House justified the duties on national security grounds, aiming to reduce dependence on foreign suppliers in an industry where Chinese company DJI has captured more than two-thirds of the global drone market in recent years.
A report released last week indicated Washington loses about $19 billion to $26 billion in annual tariff revenue on goods transshipped through third countries to avoid duties, underscoring economic motivations.
Commerce Ministry Spokesperson He Yadong told reporters in Beijing that the measures "overstretch the concept of national security discriminate against relevant Chinese products," warning that the levies disrupt global drone supply chains.
Since 2022, DJI has remained on a restricted list for alleged military links, which the firm disputes, while Beijing warns the tariffs further undermine fair market competition.
China declared on Thursday that it is "strongly opposed" to the new US import tariffs on drones and drone parts from abroad. President Donald Trump announced a tariff of up to 100 percent last week.
6 hours ago·Apeldoorn, Netherlands (Kingdom of the)