Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Burnham says he is not embarrassed about hoax Trump aide message exchange

Burnham said the exchange was minimal and quickly reported after he became suspicious, while the British embassy raised concerns with the White House.

  • On Tuesday, Prime Minister Andy Burnham confirmed he exchanged messages with an impostor posing as White House aide Susie Wiles. Speaking in Wolverhampton, he said he was not embarrassed and reported the incident quickly, describing the exchange as "minimal" consequence.
  • Reports first emerged Monday via Politico that the British embassy in Washington raised the incident with the White House. A U.S. official clarified Burnham's experience was unrelated to the prior hacking of Wiles' phone.
  • This incident adds to a history of high-profile hoaxes targeting British politicians, including past attempts involving Lord David Cameron, Priti Patel, and Ben Wallace. In 1998, impressionist Jon Culshaw successfully contacted Downing Street by pretending to be Lord William Hague.
  • President Donald Trump appeared unaware of the specific incident, telling reporters at the White House that he was "sure that he had a miscommunication." Burnham reiterated correct actions were taken in both the UK and U.S.
  • The Wall Street Journal reported last year that the FBI launched an investigation into efforts to access Wiles' phone after an unknown person contacted prominent Republicans. These impersonation attempts reveal persistent security challenges facing officials in both America and Britain.
Insights by Ground AI

32 Articles

Evening StandardEvening Standard
+4 Reposted by 4 other sources
Center

Burnham says he is not embarrassed about hoax Trump aide message exchange

The Prime Minister was in contact with an unknown individual pretending to be top White House aide Susie Wiles, but he became suspicious.

·London, United Kingdom
Read Full Article
Right

Downing Street declined to comment on the matter, but did not deny the existence of a message exchange.

·Marousi, Greece
Read Full Article

New UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham confirmed on Tuesday that he had exchanged messages with someone posing as US President Donald Trump's chief of staff.

·Vilnius, Lithuania
Read Full Article
Center

British Prime Minister Andy Burnham, who took office in July, has confirmed that he exchanged messages with a person who falsely claimed to be US President Donald Trump's chief of staff, Susie Wiles. He clarified that no sensitive content was exchanged in the messages and that he was not embarrassed.

·Ljubljana, Slovenia
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 39% of the sources lean Left
39% Left

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

Politico broke the news in Arlington County, United States on Monday, August 17, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal