Augusta schools began in the second story of the C. N. James Cabin in 1869. Our census was growing and within a year we had outgrown the upper floor of the Cabin. C. N. James felt obliged to donate some of his land for a two-story frame school building to be erected in 1870 at a cost of $2500. (The site of the present-day parking lot just behind the City Building.) The lumber for the building was hauled from Emporia as the school was built befor…