Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says

Two survivors were rescued, and one remained in critical condition after the boat capsized on a route used for Europe-bound migration, a rights group said.

  • On Saturday, Mostafa Abdelkebir, head of the Tunisian Observatory, reported that at least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off the Tunisian coast while sailing toward Italy. The vessel departed early on Thursday.
  • The central Mediterranean remains one of the world's deadliest migration routes, where migrants from Africa and the Middle East often use overcrowded or unseaworthy boats to reach Europe.
  • One of the two survivors told rescuers they were stranded at sea for hours after the boat capsized, while Abdelkebir reported the second survivor is in critical condition.
  • Migrant departures from Tunisia have fallen sharply over the past two years, following a government crackdown and tighter maritime controls backed by European funding and equipment from Italy.
  • Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International stated last month that the EU-Tunisia migration deal fueled abuses, calling on European officials to suspend funding for Tunisian security forces.
Insights by Ground AI

20 Articles

Right

The country was previously a major departure hub for migrants aspiring to reach Europe, however, in the last two years their numbers have shrunk due to stricter controls.

·Marousi, Greece
Read Full Article
The HinduThe Hindu
+2 Reposted by 2 other sources
Lean Left

At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says

At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat sank off Tunisia while attempting to reach Italy.

·Chennai, India
Read Full Article
Algemeen DagbladAlgemeen Dagblad
+5 Reposted by 5 other sources
Center

At least thirteen Tunisians are missing after their boat sank off the Tunisian coast. Two passengers were rescued, the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights reported on Saturday. The boat had departed for Italy early Thursday morning.

·Rotterdam, Netherlands (Kingdom of the)
Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 54% of the sources lean Right
54% Right

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

WTVB broke the news on Saturday, August 22, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal