Rescue in the Jungle: Soldiers Freed in Colombia
- Thirty-Three Colombian soldiers kidnapped on August 25 were freed on Thursday in Guaviare's rural El Retorno municipality.
- The kidnapping followed clashes in which 11 guerrillas, including a dissident FARC commander, died and villagers demanded a slain rebel's body return.
- The soldiers were held by villagers under rebel orders in a jungle area known for coca crops and drug trafficking, amid ongoing conflict with dissident FARC factions rejecting the 2016 peace deal.
- Defense Minister Pedro Sanchez confirmed the release, stating the soldiers had been detained from Monday, and that the villagers demanded the transfer of a deceased rebel's body to the provincial morgue.
- This event highlights challenges in securing rural zones despite President Gustavo Petro's 2022 peace strategy amid Colombia's six-decade conflict causing over 450,000 deaths.
30 Articles
30 Articles
After violent fighting with rebels on Tuesday, the soldiers were prevented from leaving an area of the department of Guaviare, something the Government of Gustavo Peter classified as a kidnapper.
33 Colombian soldiers were captured in a jungle area after clashes with armed rebels.

Colombia's ombudswoman says 33 soldiers allegedly kidnapped under orders of a rebel group are freed
Thirty-three Colombian soldiers allegedly taken by villagers acting under the orders of a rebel group were freed after three days.


Military personnel abducted by dozens of civilians in a jungle area of southeastern Colombia were released.


Dozens of kidnapped Colombian soldiers released, says defense ministry
BOGOTA - Nearly three-dozen soldiers who had been kidnapped by armed civilians in a jungle area of southeastern Colombia have been released, Defense Minister Pedro Sanchez said on Thursday. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Rescue in the Jungle: Soldiers Freed in Colombia
Nearly three-dozen Colombian soldiers kidnapped by armed civilians in a jungle area have been released, Defense Minister Pedro Sanchez announced. The soldiers were taken on August 25 following a clash in El Retorno municipality, which resulted in 11 guerrilla deaths, including a former FARC dissident commander.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 47% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium