Published 5 hours ago • loading... • Updated 3 hours ago
Wildfire season tracking to be 4th worst on record
Federal forecasters said more than 40,000 square kilometres have burned and only two wildfire assistance requests were filed this year, officials said.
On Aug. 18, 2026, federal forecasters reported that Canada is on track for its fourth-worst wildfire season on record, with 580 wildfires burning nationally and 30 currently out of control.
The 2023 season remains the worst on record, burning more than 170,000 square kilometres—an area twice the size of New Brunswick. This marks the first time in history forest has burned for four consecutive years.
Wildfires have burned more than 40,000 square kilometres so far this year, nearly the size of Nova Scotia. The Bald Range wildfire forced 20,000 people from their homes in the Okanagan on Aug. 8.
Craig Oldham, director general with public safety and emergency preparedness, noted that Canada received only two wildfire-related requests for assistance in 2026, down from 11 last year.
While September forecasts indicate above-average fire danger for Northern areas, Northern Quebec, and Labrador, Yan Boulanger, a research scientist with Natural Resources Canada, stated that 'significant fire growth is not considered likely.