Skip to main content
See every side of every news story
Published loading...Updated

Ship attack in Hormuz kills crew member while Trump says strait is ‘open and operating’

UKMTO said the attack killed one crew member and damaged the engine room, as commercial traffic through the strait remains at a trickle.

  • A commercial vessel transiting the Strait of Hormuz was struck by an unidentified projectile, damaging its engine room and leaving one crew member dead, according to maritime authorities and industry reports.
  • The incident occurred as the ship was leaving the strait near Oman, while the remaining crew members were assisted by the Omani Coast Guard.
  • Despite the attack, U.S. President Donald Trump said the Strait of Hormuz was “open and operating” and claimed that all sea mines had been removed or detonated.
  • Shipping traffic through the strategic waterway remains significantly reduced, highlighting the continuing security risks faced by commercial vessels despite Trump’s statement.
  • Iran continues to maintain that the strait should remain closed until its demands are addressed, while tensions between Tehran and Washington have further complicated efforts to restore normal maritime traffic.
Insights by Ground AI

21 Articles

El DiarioEl Diario
+3 Reposted by 3 other sources
Center

A cargo ship was hit by an unidentified projectile as it transited the Strait of Ormuz, in an incident that left a member of its crew dead and damaged the boat, according to today's report from the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations Centre (UKMTO). The impact occurred when the ship was transiting out of the strait strategic and caused damage to the engine room. Oman's Coast Guard assisted the rest of the crew and no environmental damage wa…

Read Full Article
Think freely.Subscribe and get full access to Ground NewsSubscriptions start at $9.99/yearSubscribe

Bias Distribution

  • 54% of the sources lean Right
54% Right

Factuality Info Icon

To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium

Ownership

Info Icon

To view ownership data please Upgrade to Vantage

روزنامه اطلاعات روز broke the news on Tuesday, August 18, 2026.
Too Big Arrow Icon
Sources are mostly out of (0)

Similar News Topics

News
Feed Dots Icon
For You
Search Icon
Search
Blindspot LogoBlindspotLocal