Published 2 months ago • loading... • Updated 2 months ago
Madeleine McCann case investigators announce bombshell update
The Home Office approved funding for Operation Grange for 2026/27, allocating £86,000 to the Metropolitan Police unit investigating Madeleine McCann's 2007 disappearance. The allocation represents a drop from £108,000 last year.
Launched in 2011, the inquiry has cost around £13.3 million investigating what happened to Madeleine when she vanished at age three in Portugal. The investigation began as an 'investigative review' before expanding into a full inquiry.
Christian Brueckner remains a prime suspect despite being released from a German prison last September. Metropolitan Police Commissioner Mark Rowley said Brueckner "remains a suspect for us", though he has never been charged with offences linked to the case.
Retired Metropolitan Police detective Peter Bleksley criticized the continued funding, arguing families of other missing children could feel "angry" at the disparity. A source close to Madeleine's family said they welcomed the extension and remain hopeful.
The investigation remains active as the 19th anniversary approaches on May 3. Operation Grange now comprises three police officers and one part-time staff member continuing the search.