The Corporation for Public Broadcasting announces shutdown following funding loss
- On Friday, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting revealed plans to begin closing its operations by the end of September 2025.
- This decision follows Congress canceling federal funding for CPB in the 2026 budget bill and a prior rescission of $1.1 billion requested by the Trump administration.
- For nearly six decades, CPB has played a vital role in supporting over fifteen hundred community-based public radio and television outlets, delivering educational programs, emergency information, and fostering cultural connections nationwide.
- President and CEO Patricia Harrison acknowledged that despite widespread public efforts to urge Congress to maintain funding, the organization must proceed with shutting down its operations.
- Most employees will be laid off by September 30, 2025, with a small transition group staying on until January 2026 to finalize the shutdown process.
546 Articles
546 Articles
Public Broadcasting Cuts Are Already Putting Trump’s Supporters in Rural America at Risk
When Donald Trump directed Congress to defund the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), he and his allies pushed a long time, right-wing narrative about targeting liberal “bias” at NPR and PBS.
Hawaii public media face big cuts as CPB funding ends
The Corporation for Public Broadcasting said Friday that it would shut down next year, effectively ending its half-century role as a backer of NPR, PBS and local radio and TV stations across the United States. The announcement left Hawaii’s public media landscape reeling. The Corporation for Public Broadcasting will continue to support public broadcasters through a transition period that will end in January, said Patricia Harrison, its president…
Northland news desert widens after legislation to defund Corporation for Public Broadcasting passes
BEMIDJI — Some Northland counties are now on the verge of becoming full-fledged news deserts as local public media outlets struggle to overcome federal funding cuts. President Donald Trump signed the Rescissions Act of 2025 into law on July 24, which includes 21 cuts of appropriated funds totaling $9 billion, as recommended by the Department of Government Efficiency. The bulk of cuts target foreign aid and global health initiatives. However, the…
Corporation for Public Broadcasting to close its doors after loss of funding - Butler County Times-Gazette
By Shauneen MirandaKansas Reflector WASHINGTON — The Corporation for Public Broadcasting announced Friday that it will be shutting down. The announcement came just one day after a major Senate appropriations bill omitted funding for the nonprofit that funds public media and a week after President Donald Trump signed a bill into law that yanked $1.1 billion in previously approved spending for CPB. CPB, which Congress authorized in 1967, provides …
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 53% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium