Lecornu Announces €12 Million for Southwest France Fire Recovery
The funds include €10 million for Gironde and €2 million for Landes as officials fast-track rebuilding after fires that burned 42,000 hectares.
- French Prime Minister Lecornu announced €12 million in aid for southwest residents hit by wildfires, pledging building permits for "equivalent reconstruction" of destroyed homes within one month.
- The fires burned through 42,000 hectares near Bordeaux, marking France's largest such fire since 1949 and forcing the evacuation of more than 220,000 residents and tourists within 15 kilometres of the metropolitan area.
- Residents heckled Lecornu in Le Porge, where 183 homes burned down, protesting perceived prioritization of the Cap-Ferret peninsula while 200 people gathered demanding "truth, transparency, and justice."
- Total support measures could exceed €100 million, with Lecornu warning insurers who "do not play the game," while reports suggest the president's office views him as a viable candidate for the 2027 elections.
- Meeting local officials in Merignac, Lecornu stated, "We have absolutely nothing to hide" regarding fire protection operations conducted over recent weeks, defending the government's crisis response.
34 Articles
34 Articles
Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu announced this Monday, 17 August, a first envelope of 12 million euros for the communities, but he said that the total amount of the scheme could exceed 100 million euros.
French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu announced on Monday 100 million euros of financial aid, in particular to rebuild the homes affected.
French PM Lecornu says aid available 'immediately' to rebuild fire-hit regions
French Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu on Monday announced aid worth €12 million to help residents of the southwest hit by wildfires rebuild their lives. He was heckled earlier in the day by dozens of locals in the town of Le Porge in the Gironde region, who said they were unhappy with the government's response.
When Prime Minister Sébastien Lecornu spoke about aid schemes in the departments of Gironde and Landes after the fires this summer, he warned the insurers that he would give the names of those "who will not play the game" in the compensation of the victims.
Sébastien Lecornu was in Gironde on Monday in order to meet elected representatives and present several emergency measures for the victims of the fires.
Coverage Details
Bias Distribution
- 47% of the sources are Center
Factuality
To view factuality data please Upgrade to Premium


























